Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Blood Cultures (times) 2

http://intensivecare.hsnet.nsw.gov.au/five/images/bloodtest_culture.jpgBack when I was a kid, we had to walk uphill in the snow with bare feet to get blood cultures. Then after 15 minutes, we had to walk uphill in the snow on our hands while holding our breath to get them again from a different site.

Apparently somewhere between then and now, they have decided that the whole uphill and snow and bare feet and wait 15 minutes and different site things were a little old-fashioned and kind of grandma-y. Now, at least in our ER, when ye olde doc orders BCx2, the lab tech goes in the room, draws an extra syringe of blood, and badabing, they are done. My feet are saved for a rainy day.

Why we are still collecting two sets of blood cultures if we are doing them at the same time from the same site is beyond me. I suppose there is some theoretical benefit because "what if one of the bottles gets infected?"

Maybe it's just me (most things are), but this just really seems like yet another colossal waste of money and time. Go over to madness for the discussion that sparked these thoughts. Then go over again in 15 minutes and make sure that everything is the same.

Braden

(oh, and note that I'm famous over there! top o' the link pile. Maybe you should do the same on your blog... I'm just saying)

No comments: