Sunday, February 20, 2011

Long Time, No See

Just a quick note here. It has been over a year since my last post, and for a long time I've been wondering if it is just time to pull the plug on this blog. After thinking a lot about it, I'm not going to do that just yet. With three kids 3 and under, life has not been quite so free as it was when I started the blog, but I hope that as the kids get older and less time-intensive, it will give me more time to work on updating the blog, so if you are still subscribed to this feed, don't bother deleting me just yet. I'll try to post a little more often, though probably not regularly.

I am deleting my 20outof10 gmail address, though, because I get a lot of junk mail there from people saying "how much we love your blog, and oh, by the way, would you post this article and link to my blog?" when it is obvious they haven't even looked at my blog.

If you really need to get in touch with me, just leave a comment on any post, as I get email notifications of comments.

Thanks.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm a writer for Reader's Digest, and I'm working on an article called "50 things your nurse won't tell you." I stumbled upon your blog, liked it, and was hoping you might be willing to be interviewed for my article. I would not have to use your name. I don't want to post my e-mail address here, but you can reach me by going to my personal website, which is just my name dot.com, then hitting the contact link. Thanks so much!

Michelle said...

I thought my name would show up from my Goggle account, but I don't see it so here it is: Michelle Crouch

Laura M. said...

I found your blog during a google search for nurse blogs. I am writing to you and your readers now now as I am
attempting to reach as many nurses as I can for help with a project. As you will see below, my request is not specifically relevant to your site, but I was hoping that by reaching out to many nurses, I might receive a range of feedback.

My name is Laura Marsan. I'm a nurse and second-year graduate student in journalism at Columbia University. I am currently researching and writing my thesis about bullying in health care, specifically among nurses and how this affects patient outcomes.

I have read many studies that suggest a connection between units known for a culture of bullying and higher mortality rates, especially in ICU settings. However, finding actual examples with supportive data has been
difficult. I am working with an adviser from The New York Times. While I have seen workplace bullying (and experienced it), my adviser, has recommended that unless I am able to quantify a connection, either through a current legal case or a case study of a hostile unit with
documented poor outcomes, that this story may not be of interest to a readership beyond nurses. As a member of 3.1 million nurses whose role is to advocate for the medically vulnerable, my instincts tell mevthat this is a profoundly significant story, that if framed correctly would be of interest to people everywhere.

I am writing now to ask anyone reading this of a specific case you know about. It may be about you. Or, readers, about you. Or someone you know (or heard about). While workplace bullying is not illegal, as such, "intent to inflict emotional harm" gets mentioned in lots of whistleblower cases. I want to tell a story of a nurse who
was bullied and what consequences this had on patient care.

I am looking for a case that may have contributed to the poor patient outcome. I am also interested in any data (academic or otherwise) that anyone might have possibly linking a toxic workplaces with poor patient outcomes.

My email address is lam2208@columbia edu. My phone number is 513-375-6328.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Laura