Sunday, November 9, 2008

Don't Get Messed Up

Epijunky put up a picture from post secret in her last entry that says, "I would rather be a messed up person, fixed, than to be a regretless person wondering how "messed up" would feel."

I commented, "The problem is, sometimes you get so messed up that there is no "fixing" that can bring you back.

I think we see some of these people frequently in our profession."

And as I've thought further about it I want to add that the more I think about that idea, the more I think it is a dangerous view to have.  It sounds very much like a declaration of somebody who is trying to justify why they are now serving 10-15 for drug possession or someone who is now serving McDonald's food to make rent because they now can't find a job that pays more than minimum.

The fact of the matter is that through a lot of love and grace and work, it is possible to come back from messed up, and if you go into it with the right attitude, then that journey from messed up can teach you big lessons and in some ways make you stronger.  Repentance is a miracle.  But I think that never messed up is almost always a stronger position for you and for those around you than the pain, suffering, and possibility of going too far into messed up.

So don't rely on the fixing. Instead just do the right thing to begin with.

Sorry about the post-nap Sunday philosophy.  I now return you to your regularly scheduled silliness.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I would submit the question of how those we see that are indeed "messed up" get there in the first place. Was it their own doing? A bad influence? Circumstances?

I'm not sure anyone ever wants to go there in the first place. You're , though, that sometimes the one that is in that spot is past the point of no return.

And yes - we've all seen or dealt with them. It is always hard.

Unknown said...

I intended to say in the second paragraph that you're right about that. Somehow the word "right" got dumped....