Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Voluntary Divert

So we just had the busiest day I've ever seen. I was working second triage and we were slammed with an endless parade of chest pains, possible AAAs, and severe hypotension patients, all salted with the usual complaints. I had to triage one pretty convincing varicella case in the quiet room. Hope those vaccines work. Top that off with ambulance traffic that would rival the traffic to K-Mart on any average day, and we were really cooking. Hallway beds were everywhere you looked, and we were occasionally putting pretty serious patients in the hall.

Needless to say, everyone's nerves were just a little on edge.

http://www.fourinhand.com.au/Files/Everyday-bits/Free-Beer.aspxAs I walked by one of the fast track PAs, I said, "make it stop!"

"Easy," he replied. "Get a paper and a marker and make a sign to put on the front door: FREE BEER AND PEANUTS AT SAINT CARINGANDSHARING GENERAL.* That should clear everybody out pretty quickly."

If only...

* Name changed to protect the innocent

Technorati Tags: , , ,

4 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Braden said...

The comment above was deleted to protect the privacy of Mother Jones (she was giving me her email address) and not for any other reasons. Please call inside edition and tell them to get their reporters off my back about it.

Epijunky said...

If I had a nickel for every time I heard an ER staffer mention "putting a sign up" I'd be retiring tomorrow.

I'm serious.

NewGradNurse said...

make it "free narcs" and you'd be outta business