Wednesday, June 11, 2008

How do I do it?

A commenter over at another blog that I just found the other day said

"I don't know how you do it. Day after day of seeing tragedy and suffering. I'm not sure I could do it for long."

As for me, I can say that despite seeing some of the worst of the human experience (those who suffer, those who harm others, those who are trapped in addiction, etc), I also see some of the best of the human experience (those who have resolve to live through suffering, those who are overcoming addictions), and I have the incredibly rewarding opportunity of being an agent of change for those who are struggling. I can bring a warm smile, a laugh, relief from pain, and sometimes a life-saving hand to the scene.

At the end of the day, my feet hurt, my back is sore, and my blood pressure is still coming down from 12 hours of feeling like I was never quite caught up with everything I had to do, but at the same time, I feel that I was intellectually stimulated, and that I made a difference.

And that is all the thanks I need.

3 comments:

Prisca: said...

As someone who is struggling with the "why" right now, I really appreciate what you are saying.

Ya got to hold on to those little jewel-like moments when you see someone transformed, or you get a heartfelt thanks for your work, or you save a life, right??

I must remember that TODAY! :)

Braden said...

One more thing, Prisca: Don't forget that epecially as an L&D nurse where people are so preoccupied with their new delivery, sometimes that heartfelt thanks is right there but never gets said.

I know I wish I could go back and find the nurse that was with us for the last half of the delivery of our first child and buy her dinner or something. I'm sure I'm not the only one who, after the excitement and emotion wears off, realizes that they didn't adequately thank the nurse for all she did.

JoanneatNurseConnect said...

Nurses have the ability to draw from so many colorful and often painful experiences on a daily basis. It can either make you weak or stronger. Sounds like you have a full life at home to get back to which is also why you probably area able to "do what you do."