Friday, June 20, 2008

Let's all say it together now...

FAST track.

Say it again: FFFAAASSSTTT Track.

So why does the charge nurse come up to me and say, "oh, by the way Braden we are going to put an acute onset chest pain in room 1. Don't worry, we'll get her to another room soon, I just need you to start an IV line and give some meds."

Dear, dear charge nurse: Have you ever given ACS meds before? I'm just asking, because there is nothing quick about giving initial ACS meds. So while I am busy doing that, the rest of fast track becomes stopped track.

Oh, and 6 hours later when I went home, the patient was still there. In fast track.

3 comments:

MOJITOGIRL said...

I had one the other night. He was all I did for three hours until we flew him out to Miami. Give meds, watch for reperfusion arrhythmias, watch for bleeding, changes in mental status, etc. You don't stray far from the bedside.

Your charge nurse needs a reality check.

Unknown said...

Fast track also means things that require medical INTERVENTION, not the stupid "My back hurts, can I have a work note for tomorrow?"

You asked me to email you before the next Change of Shift? I did. Tag.. You're it!

Braden said...

I replied to your email on 6/18, and I just replied again using my other email account. Let me know if you don't get it.

Oh, and by the way, I agree that fast track should involve some interventions, but it is designed for fast interventions. Not chest pains that take hours and tie up the nurse for long periods of time giving NTG and Lopressor and figuring out drip rates.