Wednesday, March 4, 2009

American Idol Top 36 Week 3

So the last 12 of the top 36 are up this week and ho-diddly-hum who cares.  I look down this list of singers and I couldn't care less if they all got in a plane crash tonight.  As long as it wasn't next to my hospital.

1. Von Smith - You're All I Need To Get By (Marvin Gaye)

Dear Von,

You are not Marvin Gaye.

Sincerely,

Me

5/10.  Okay, in retrospect, it got better as he went on.  I'll make that a 6/10. (But he is still not Marvin Gaye)

2. Taylor Vaifanua - If I Ain't Got You (Alicia Keys)

I wish she would enunciate, because I like her voice, but I can't understand a lot of what she is singing.  Once she hit the chorus, she nailed it, but I think the shaky beginning hurt her a lot. 6/10

3. Alex Wagner-Schmagner - I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues (Elton John)

Yes, he's dorky, but he's funny.  Before he even starts singing, I like this kid.  Then he starts singing.  When he's not trying too hard, he sounds okay, but unfortunately for him, he's trying too hard for most of the song.  Simon nailed it:  "You are like a little hamster trying to be a tiger."  He shouldn't go through, but I could see him getting the "lovable guy" vote.  5/10

4. Arianna Afsar - The Winner Takes It All (Abba)

Very shaky performance coupled with boring song = too much for her big voice to overcome.  4/10

5. Junot Joyner - Hey There Delila (Plain White T's)

Didn't he sing this in Hollywood week?  I wonder if it is possible to sing this song any slower?  He has a nice roughness to his voice, but so does Danny, and he's no Danny. 6/10

6. Kristin McNamara - Give Me One Reason (Tracy Chapman)

I can't put words to why I didn't like that performance, because if I have to rate her vocal performance, it would be at least an 8 or a 9, but in the end, I was left feeling cold.  6/10

7. Little Girl Marshall - I Will Do Anything For Love (Turkeyloaf)

That was the most boring exciting performance I've seen.  The music got big and the words got fast, but the boring stayed steady.  4/10

8. Felicia Barton - No One (Alicia Keys)

Kind of opposite of Kristin, I don't know why I liked this performance given the pitch problems, the timing being off from the backup singers, and the horrendous haircut.  That said, I liked it.  7/10

9. Scott MacIntyre - Mandolin Rain (Bruce Hornsby)

A few weak points, but overall a good job.  He's got a lot of potential.  7/10

10. Kendall Beard - This One's For the Girls (Martina McBride)

She's cute.  This song is dumb.  She sounds just like every other wannabe female country singer who has tried this song.  Paula says she gets the prize for the best outfit.  I say she gets the prize for the best burlap bag.  5/10

11. Jorge Nunez - Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me (Elton John)

What's up with the eyebrows, homey?  This is a credible performance, but he's got David Archuleta's shoes to fill, and Jorge, you are no David Archuleta.  6/10

12. Lil Rounds - Be Without You (Mary J. Blige)

She loves her name.  I think it sounds like a cut of beef.  She's a good singer but like Kendall, she seems kind of generic for her genre.  Also, she was really eating her words at the beginning.  6/10

My predictions: Scott, Lil and Jorge make it to the top 12.

Who should make it: I don't really care, because I can't get excited about any of these singers.  I just hope Drama Queen doesn't make it.

1 comment:

Prisca: said...

OH NO--sorry I misconstrued your comment on my blog...

I am a dork and must have been half awake after my nap! DUH!

And I gave up on AI a long time ago--I got frustrated and I dont like the new judge. :P