Sunday, October 19, 2008

Chest Compressions

Yesterday I was the "float" nurse, which means that my job was to give breaks to other nurses and generally help out where needed.  I was busy helping a nurse with a complicated patient when I came out and saw a bazillion people standing outside a room.  This invariably means code, so I wandered over to see if there was anything pressing I could do.  I saw the medics about to get the patient transferred to our stretcher, and I saw the medic who was doing chest compressions.

If chest compressions are supposed to be to the beat of "Stayin' Alive", then these were to the beat of "Holiday".  I walked over, turned on the fancy little CPR metronome that we have on every crash cart and walked away.  As I looked back, the speed of chest compressions was much improved.

The code was called about 5 minutes later, so I'm not sure I changed the world, but I was glad I didn't have to get after that medic in front of the patient's family.

3 comments:

EE said...

Getting onto someone in front of the family is about as low as you can get.

Medic(three) said...

Or you could have switched with the medic as if you had any real experience doing compressions for more than 3 minutes you'd know keeping 100/min after more than a few cycles is next to fucking impossible.

Anonymous said...

Getting onto someone in front of the family is about as low as you can get.

Looks like Braden agrees with you. He said he did NOT get on to the medic in front of the family. Why are you bitching at him on your blog?