Thursday, October 2, 2008

My One Recourse

I have no choice but to be a member of a union.  I hate that.  I hate unions.  I don't think that they do anything worthwhile for me, and I absolutely despise that my freedom of choice is taken away from me by them.

So it was with particularly great dismay that I got an e-mail this morning telling me about the new website on the official ANA page supporting O!bama and propagandizing for him and selling merchandise, and implying that all of the ANA members support O!bama as well.  I don't.  I can't.  I wont.

Nurses for McCain Palin Greeting Cards (Pk of 10)But I have no power against the board voting to ignore the will of a large portion of its membership (I know that even in my liberal town most of my coworkers are supporting John McCain) and use my money to go against my interests.

I only have one recourse, and it is a small one, but nevertheless a quite satisfying one:






In my letter of opposition that I just wrote to them (gova@ana.org), I concluded that I no longer wanted to be a part of the American Nurses Ass.

I don't normally like to abbreviate official titles, but I had run out of room.  What could I do?

2 comments:

Nurse K said...

I thought it was illegal for unions to do that. *Sigh*

M.E. Again said...

My DH belongs to a union for state employees. They have given bunches of cash to politicians we don't support. The only option he has is to symbolically quit the union, but officially all workers are covered by the union 'protection' (it is nearly impossible to fire a union employee for political reasons - important in our state) but still have to pay a 'fair share' contribution which is then sent to United Way - which supports causes that we do not agree with. It's a shake-down either way, and not deductible. Pfffttt.